Table of Contents
- 1 Best Trolling Motor Battery: Our Top Picks
- 1.1 Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Battery
- 1.2 Mighty Max 12V 100Ah Battery for Minn Kota
- 1.3 12V 35Ah Light Trolling Motor Battery Sevylor Minn Kota
- 1.4 Mighty Max 12V 55Ah Trolling Motor Battery
- 1.5 VMAX857 AGM Battery 12 Volt 35Ah
- 1.6 VMAX MR96-60 AGM 12V 60AH AGM Battery
- 1.7 VMAX MR107 12V 85AH Battery
- 1.8 VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah AGM Battery
- 1.9 VMAX QTY2 MR127-100 12V 100AH AGM Deep Cycle Group 27 Batteries
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
You will need a good trolling motor battery if you want to get the most out of your boat during fishing expeditions. It gradually dispenses electricity and allows you to remain on the water for extended periods. But which is the best trolling motor battery? This post explores the models available on the market to combine a list of the ten best trolling motor batteries. We examine what makes them tick and discuss a few factors to consider during your search.
Best Trolling Motor Battery: Our Top Picks
Below you can read our reviews and pick the motor battery that is best suited for your needs:
Taking the crown is the Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah, a high-quality deep cycle battery that works well either as a trolling motor battery or electric storage battery. It provides consistent energy with a longer usage period as compared to a dual purpose battery. It is extremely efficient thanks to the integrated AGM technology, which allows the battery to discharge less than three percent of the total charge every month. The technology also eliminates the need to add water or any other maintenance.
This deep cycle battery has a 100Ah rating that guarantees excellent storage capacity. It also offers a functional lifespan for use with your trolling motor or any other equipment that requires consistent energy flow. The battery is offered with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty and takes 12 hours to charge at 10 amps. The thick, acid-proof plastic body is leak-proof and built to withstand normal weather conditions.
- Designed using AGM technology to eliminate the need for maintenance
- Built for use with trolling motors and other equipment
- Deep cycle battery with 100Ah rating for lasting functionality
- Faster recharging time and longer usage periods
- At 64 pounds, it is a little on the heavier side
The MLS 100-12 SLA battery from Mighty Max is a 12 volt 100Ah deep cycle battery designed for group 30H trolling motors. It boasts a compact design and screw-in terminals that eliminate the need for mounting accessories. It is designed using absorbed glass matt technology, which requires zero maintenance. The battery is spill proof and has a high discharge rate. You can mount it in any position without worrying about spills. It also offers exceptional performance at high and low temperatures. It tops all of the above with a long service life, wide operating temperatures, and deep discharge recover.
- Operates well within a wide range of temperatures
- Uses heavy duty calcium-alloy grid
- Exceptional performance in float and cyclic applications
- Integrated AGM technology with valve regulated design
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Extremely heavy
The Mighty Max 12V 100Ah is a more affordable battery that offers terrific features you may not expect from a budget model. At 7.68 x 5.16 x 7.13 inches, it is quite compact and only weighs 23.15 pounds. Like most batteries by Mighty Max, it is made using AGM technology to ensure it discharges the battery every month when not used. This eliminates the need to add water. The battery is also spill-proof and can be used for a wide range of operating temperatures.
The thick acid-plastic body is highly resistant to shocks and vibrations. The fact that it is spill-proof makes it easy to mount at any angles. You can use the battery on a Minn Kota C2 30-pound thrust trolling motor for up to three hours. It can offer about 45 minutes of performance with RC before requiring a recharge.
- Designed for 30-pound thrust trolling motors on small canoes or boats
- Lightweight and doesn’t occupy much space
- Built with AGM technology to eradicate the need for maintenance
- Reliable performance for up to three hours before requiring another charge
- 35Ah rating isn’t suitable for week-long fishing trips
This is a 55Ah rated deep cycle battery designed for small to medium boats. It is an excellent trolling motor battery for those who like to power their boats at high speeds or plan to spend long hours in the water. It uses a heavy duty calcium-alloy grid to provide better performance in float or cyclic applications. The grid also aids with a longer life service. It guarantees you four hours of use, even when you spend most of the time at full speed, before requiring another charge. You can get up to six hours if you maintain low or medium speeds.
This sealed lead acid battery also features screw-in terminals that eliminate the need for a wire harness or mounting accessories. It is built using AGM technology that is characteristic of a high discharge rate, deep discharge recover, long service life, and wide operating temperatures. You can mount the battery in any position without worrying about spills. It is shipped with a 30-day money back guarantee and a 1-year warranty.
- Doesn’t require wire harness or mounting accessories
- AGM spill-proof battery with quick discharge rate and wide operating temperatures
- Can be mounted in any position
- High resistance to shocks and vibrations
- Can operate for 4-6 hours depending on speed settings
- Shorted plates compromise performance
The VMAX857 AGM Battery offers a wide range of features in a compact unit that only weighs 25 pounds. It is extremely small and easy to transport. It is specially designed for deep cycle applications and is a good choice for powering your onboard vehicle or marine accessories. With a 35Ah rating, the battery can run for up to 75 minutes on reserve capacity and 4-6 hours on a full charge. It is completely spill proof and you won’t have to worry about flammable fumes leaking.
The battery comes with plates made from custom military-grade alloys with special physical and chemical structures. You can charge it using a smart charger or microprocessor controlled charger. It offers a fantastic deep cycle capability as well as maximum power density. Because the battery is weather-proof, it has no operating temperature limit. It is resistant to shock and offers a long service life of 8-10 years.
- Lasting durability and ability to recover from deep discharges
- Safety release valves with automatic reseal feature prevent accumulation of harmful gases
- Ultra strong ABS container reduces the risk of plate warping and case bulging
- Only suitable for 18-35 lb trolling motors
The VMAX MR96-60 is a 12 volt SLA battery with 60Ah rating designed for deep cycle applications. It offers a float service lifespan of 8-10 years and features carrying handles for easier handling. It utilizes an electrolyte suspension system that consists of absorbed glass matt with high porosity to completely absorb and contain electrolytes. The military grade plates offer an extra margin of performance in either float or cyclic applications. They also help extend the service lifespan of the battery, even with repeated discharges. The fact that it doesn’t require any maintenance is a huge selling point for the MR96-60. You don’t need to add any water or check specific gravity of the electrolyte during the float service life.
- Plates have a unique physical and chemical structure
- Uses special AGM technology between plate to enhance performance
- Maximized resistance to shock and vibrations
- Tough plastic tank seals and protects tightly packed plates
- High capability to recover after repeated deep discharges
- Deep cycle battery cannot be used to power an outboard mechanical equipment that requires a lot of cold cranking amps
The VMAXTANKS MR107 is a deep cycle trolling motor battery that combines SLA and AGM technology to deliver optimal performance. It is designed to never have an accumulation of harmful gas with a safety release valves that have an automatic reseal feature. It has a heavy duty lead-tin alloy that offers extra service life margin and performance. The battery utilizes an electrolyte suspension system made up of AGM. This helps maximize the battery’s resistance to vibration and shock.
The plates have a unique chemical and physical structure that helps with resistance to the elements and longevity. The battery also designed with high porosity to completely absorb and contain the electrolyte. It is good for heavy duty trolling motors and can be used for almost ten hours on a full charge.
- Guarantees a long running time of almost 10 hours
- AGM technology maximizes resistance to shock and vibrations
- Classified as spill-proof since AGM absorbs electrolyte
- Can last a span of 8-10 years
- Quite heavy at 61 pounds
The MR127 is another deep cycle battery by VMAX designed for heavy duty trolling motors. This 12-volt deep cycle battery with a 100Ah rating will give you maximum power at every moment of operation. The body is made of industrial-grade plastic that is acid-proof and shock-proof. The integrated electrolyte suspension system contains AGM, which has a high porosity and absorbing factor. This enhances distribution and absorption of electrolyte, allowing for the continued distribution of power. The grid does a good job of preventing hysteric effect causing by repeated discharging and charging of the battery.
Another aspect we love about the MR127 is that it can be discharged twice as fast as traditional batteries. The solid body combined with tin alloy plates and materials lends better resistance to shocks and vibrations. It also enhances the battery’s lifespan to at least 5 years. The price is a little higher than what you’d expect to pay for a traditional battery, but the enhanced performance and durability are worth every penny.
- Group 27 battery can be installed with Minn Kota power units
- AGM technology and tin alloy grid for improved performance
- Charges faster than traditional batteries
Sold as a pack of two, the VMAX MR127 boasts 100Ah rating and offers a continuous supply of power to your trolling motor. It is easy to mount, discharges quickly and is designed to withstand the vibrations of daily use. Thanks to the use of AGM technology, this battery is 100% maintenance free and doesn’t need water refilling. It has a fast charging speed, hence a convenient choice for a battery that will be used on your boat often.
The thick plastic housing is resistant to wear and acid-proof. The battery mounts in any position without risk of spillage and is compatible with any Group 27 battery box. It is backed by a 30-day money back guarantee and 12-month exchange warranty.
- Electrolyte suspension system delivers exceptional deep cycle performance
- AGM technology allows for quick discharge and recharge
- Offers a higher recharging speed compared to competing models
- Extremely heavy
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is my trolling motor battery bad?
A: The easiest way to tell if your battery is damaged is to check the specific gravity, which helps determine the concentration of acid in your water. Use a Hydrometer to test the electrolyte (acid+water) and specific gravity or density in a lead acid battery and to interpret the numbers the battery is no good if a cell is +/- 30 kg/m3 of another cell. R.C. minutes stands for reserve capacity minutes which is the time it takes to fully discharge a battery with a 25 amp draw. R.C. minutes can help you predict how long you can run a trolling motor off the battery. A good standard is a 40lb thrust trolling motor on full speed draws about 42 amps continuously.
Q: What Is The Right Way To Store My Trolling Motor Battery?
A: Exceptional care and maintenance of your battery are essential to retaining top performance throughout its service life. Make sure you never mix different types of batteries. Always keep the old and new batteries separate. The old batteries that aren’t in use can be kept in a dark place that is slightly below room temperature.
Q: Should You Clean Your Trolling Motor Battery?
A: While you may not need to clean your battery, proper maintenance is an absolute must. Your battery will do its job to its best ability, and this is largely determined by how well it is maintained. You can clean it if you notice some corrosion on the terminals. Additionally, you should keep dirt and grime off the battery. If you are using a wet lead acid battery, be sure to fill it with distilled water occasionally. Tools like a hydrometer will help you determine the concentration of the acid substance.
AGM and gel batteries may be labeled maintenance free, but you can take some precautions to ensure optimal protection. Watch the charge because overcharging will ultimately compromise functionality. You should also keep an eye on the amount of energy drawn from the battery. Rather than drain it drain, aim to use only 75% of the charge. This may double the life of your trolling motor battery.