Table of Contents
- 1 Big metal Spool Spinning Fishing Reels With 13+1BB 4.6：1 For Saltwater Freshwater Ultra Smooth Powerful Fishing Use Size AT 8000
- 2 Spinning Reels With Metal Spool For Freshwater Saltwater Ultra Smooth Powerful Fishing Reel Spinning 3000 4000 5000 6000 series 12+1BB
- 3 SeaKnight Rapid Saltwater Spinning Reel, 6.2:1 High Speed, Max Drag 33Lbs, Smooth Fresh and Saltwater Fishing Reel
- 4 Yoshikawa Baitfeeder Spinning Reel Saltwater Fishing 6000 5.5:1 11 High Power Ball Bearings 28Lb Drags Surf fishing Catfish Carp Reel Left Right Handle Stainless Steel Shaft
- 5 Daiwa Regal Bite and Run Saltwater Spinning Fishing Reel
- 6 HaiBo Saltwater Spinning Reel with Corrosion Resistant, Max 61.7 lbs Drag is Ideal for Conquering Big-Game Fishing, Surf Fishing - Durable & Punishing Saltwater Battles
- 7 Shimano Stella 5000 SW B HG Saltwater Spinning Fishing Reel, STL5000SWBHG
- 8 Shimano Stella 20000 SW B PG heavy duty saltwater fishing reel, STL20000SWBPG
- 9 Himenlens MC-A08 All Stainless Steel CNC Integrated Carbon Fiber Brakes Anti-Corrosion Saltwater Fishing Spinning Reel
- 10 Saltwater Spinning Reel, Aluminum CNC Big Spool Handle Fishing Reel with Dual Bearing System, 10+1 Stainless Steel Bearings, 4.7:1 Gear Ratio for Offshore Sea Surf Boat Outdoor Sport Fishing
The last few years have seen quite a revolution in design and technologies of saltwater spinning reels. Brands like Penn, Abu Garcia, Okuma and Shimano have stepped up their game, producing more powerful, more durable and smoother reels so that anglers can cast all day long without worrying about whether or not their gear is up to the task.
This post explores the best saltwater spinning reels to help you sort through the choices out there.
The Apusale AT8000 Big Metal Spool Spinning Reel is a great looking and functional tool for anglers of all skill levels. It boasts 13 stainless steel ball bearings and one roller bearing that minimize friction between gears. The bearings are made with a no gap design to optimize smooth operation. It also has precision matched gears and the spool makes 4.7 rotations per complete turn of the handle. The power drive gear is equipped for better smoothness and maximum strength.
This spinning reel is durably constructed of composite nylon body. This combined with the all-metal CNC rocker arm and forged aluminum alloy spool makes this a great reel for any angler. The arm has a left-right interchangeable soft touch handle for comfortable handling. It offers an excellent line lay oscillation through a unique system. Also included is a computer designed balanced rotor, which minimizes vibration as well as a click sounded drag knob.
- Strong body made from composite nylon
- Excellent lay line oscillation system
- Precision matched gears and corrosion-resistant bearings
- Computer designed balanced rotor minimizes vibrations
- A little on the heavy side
The Apusale BE4000 is a powerful reel with a gear ratio of 5.5:1. It offers smooth operation thanks to a unique bearing system with 12 high hardness titanium alloy ball bearings and an anti-reverse bearing. The body is quite strong and built to withstand the harshest conditions what with all metal construction. It has an all-metal handle that is left/right interchangeable and a hard aluminum alloy metal wire cup. The fact that the handle is collapsible makes it so easy to pack the unit into a suitcase when traveling.
You will certainly love the smooth drag, mostly because it is easily adjustable. It also gives you great control and is quite strong. The reel offers smooth action, smooth spinning, smooth handling and effective casting. It has a copper tooth rod drive structure and perfect hardness gear. It is a perfect tool for ocean boat, rock and beach fishing.
- Powerful reel with 5.5:1 gear ratio
- Features all-metal construction for strength and durability
- The handle is collapsible for easy storage and portability
- The drag system is easily adjustable
- Doesn't specify the maximum drag
There are very few reels that surpass the SeaKnight Rapid Saltwater Spinning Reel in terms of options offered. There are four different variations of this reel, each with unique features and customizability to suit the needs of anglers. It is generally designed as a beginner and offers good value for your money. Highlights include an anti-corrosive coating and maximum drag power of 33 pounds, making it ideal for big fish species. It boasts exquisite craftsmanship and advanced production technology.
The SeaKnight Rapid uses 10+1 shielded stainless steel bearings to minimize friction and ensure smooth operation. Its special design spool is made from aluminum and the rotor structure helps prevent entry of sand or water. The drag system includes three stainless steel drag washers and three carbon fiber drag washers for superior power.
- Oscillation system layers onto the spool to reduce friction
- Aluminum alloy drive gear meets inexhaustible pursuit of power, strength, and durability
- Brass pinion gear and shield dual bearings provide increased stability and smoothness
- Anti-corrosion coating for added protection against salty air
- A wide variety of spool sizes and reel lengths to choose from
- Doesn't come with a spare spool
The Yoshikawa Baitfeeder is one of the few shiny and elegant spinning reels that match their looks in their performance. It has a bait running system that provides a fully free spool mode with a flip of a small lever on the side. This ultimately means a free-running line without having to open the bail. The design and structure are optimized for the needs of amateurs and experienced anglers alike. It has a smooth multi-disk drag system that incorporates superior oiled drag washers.
This reel offers increased control of the fishing and you can choose however you want to retrieve the catch. With a maximum drag capacity of 28 lbs, you can catch all the large fish you want. The spool rotates 5.5 times per turn of the handle, hence secure fast retrievals. It has an exceptionally high lining capacity to allow a wider target area and longer casting distance.
- Cool gray finish matches all of your fishing rods
- Longer casting distance
- Excellent gear ratio for fast retrievals
- Sturdy all-metal construction
- Drag is difficult to manipulate
The Daiwa Regal Bite and Run come in a variety of sizes and is designed for maximum durability. It boasts graphite frames that stand up to the harsh elements well. It also guarantees smooth operation with four ball and roller bearings. The aluminum ABS spool ensures smooth casting. You get a spare spool made from aluminum so you don't have to worry about the entanglement of lines. Daiwa incorporates a twist buster line twist reduction feature that prevents twisting of lines during casting or retrieval. Also included is a dual selectable infinite anti-reverse.
- Smooth drag system
- Minimal risk of lines twisting
- Reliable and durable reel with graphite frames
- Comes with aluminum ABS spool
- Produces grinding noise during a retrieve
The Haibo Cheetah Spinning Reel is specially designed to handle the harsh saltwater environments and stress of pulling big game fish. It comes with six stainless steel ball bearings not to mention an instant infinite anti-reverse system to deliver unparalleled smoothness. It uses a carbon fiber drag system with a pulling power of 61 pounds and a long wheelbase design spool. You can, therefore, expect enough power and finesse to subdue hard-pulling fish.
The full metal body provides added strength and the side plates help maintain precise gear maintain with rotor even under very heavy loads. It has a heavy duty aluminum bail wire that offers extra durability. While it does sacrifice retrieval rate for increased drag, the 4.9:1 gear ratio is still pretty decent.
- Uses super line braided spool and CNC gear technology
- Mechanical sealed drag system with 61 pounds capacity
- Doesn’t require backing as rubber gasket keeps superline from slipping
- Heavy power handle with a large knob for comfortable handling
- Sacrifices retrieval speed for increased drag capacity
Shimano is a well-recognized brand in the fishing industry and their Stella SWB Saltwater Spinning Reel has proved a worthy investment for many anglers. It incorporates multiple technologies to ensure optimal performance. It uses X-Ship to provide improved gear durability. It works by supporting pinion gear on both ends to maintain precise alignment with the drive gear. Hagane Body offers increased rigidity by eliminating flexing, thus giving the angler more cranking power.
At the heart of this reel is Hagane gear, which has exceptional strength and durability. It is formed using Shimano’s forging technology for assured resilience. X-Protect and X-Shield combine to provide maximum protection from water damage. The CF aluminum cold forge spool is way stronger than traditional graphite or die-cast aluminum spools. Also included is a Super Stopper II anti-reverse to eliminate back-play and give you instant hook setting power.
- Comes with 14+1 bearing system for minimal friction
- Incorporates multiple technologies to optimize performance
- Available in multiple spool sizes and reel lengths
Like the Shimano Stella SWB, this model boasts impressive technological advancements that enhance all of the functions. It uses X-Tough Drag System to provide more control, dramatic smoothness as well as large game fish toughness. The X-Ship gears give you more cranking leverage, promotes powerful transmission and a smooth feel. Its strong rigidity is due to the presence of X-Rigid motor, aluminum body and handle.
It can withstand extended exposure to saltwater conditions as it gets extra protection from X-Protect and X-Shield features. The bail-trip and s-arm cam guarantee smooth line layers. Overall, this is one hell of a state the art spinning reel.
- Can pull heavyweights of up to 55 pounds
- Great quality of X-Rigid motor and aluminum body
- Increased cranking leverage with X-Ship gears
- More drag power at the cost of retrieval speed (gear ratio)
The Himenlens MAC-A08 is a corrosion resistant saltwater spinning reel that can be used in different locations and for casting techniques. It features a patented parallel winding deigns and multi-point floater metal alloy drive gear. The dual bearing system includes 11+1 shielded stainless steel bearings for smooth operation.
Another notable feature is the braid ready spool that allows anglers to tie braid directly to the spool. The reel uses a sealed smooth drag system with a maximum capacity of 55 pounds, making it an excellent choice for large saltwater fish species. Additional features include computer design rotor balance and high-temperature undervoltage integration of body, arm, and foot.
- The handle is left/right interchangeable
- Incorporates a dual bearing system for smooth operation
- Patented multi-point floater metal alloy drive gear
- Carbon fiber brake system
Sougayilang Saltwater Spinning Reel
Concluding our list is the Sougayilang Saltwater Spinning Reel, which features a dual bearing system with 10+1 stainless steel ball bearings. It has a one-way clutch for corrosion resistance and ultimate smoothness. A high gear ratio of 4.7:1 means you can expect a secure and fast retrieve. The hollow, dual color, aluminum spool maximizes the unit's strength while reducing the overall weight. An automatic collapsible and left/right interchangeable handle ensures comfortable handling and is made of 100% metal. The rest of the body is also made from metal with anti-corrosion treatment.
- Stainless steel ball bearings provide ultimate smoothness
- Hollow dual color aluminum spool helps maximize strength
- Full adjustable cast control allows for easier operation
- Bail doesn’t open all the way
What to Consider When Choosing a Saltwater Reel
There are two main types of spinning reels i.e. freshwater and saltwater. Considering saltwater reels are so much more resilient, it’s understandable that one would wonder why freshwater spinning reels exist in the first place.
The answer has everything to do with price and value. Manufacturers offer freshwater reels made from materials that aren't hardened against the corrosive effects of salty air, saltwater, and wind. They also have smaller line capacities. Freshwater reels are for those who fish inland or don't want to spend a lot of money on their gear.
Saltwater fishing involves large aggressive species and exposure to different conditions. As such, manufacturers have to anticipate extreme stresses associated with this type of issues and address those problems in reel designs. The result is resilient reels that provide reliable performance for a long time even after prolonged exposure to the wearing effects of salty air. Of course, regular maintenance and cleaning are a must to keep a saltwater spinning in optimal condition.
Saltwater spinning reels are specially designed for deep water fishing, but can also be used for trolling or shallow waters. They must do the basic functions like ensuring long and effective casting, and this means letting the heavy line flow off the spool easily. The reel must allow for precise placement of baits, consistent retrieval and accommodate different hooking actions.
Brackish water is very corrosive and this can lead to extensive damage to metal parts. Make sure that the spinning reel can resist saltwater corrosion. The housing should be sealed against leakage and the interior components shielded well. Many manufacturers use advanced corrosion resistant materials and incorporate unique designs to protect vulnerable parts like motor, gears, and housing.
Leading brands use composite materials and metal alloys to ensure strength and durability. Regardless of the material used, make sure it is treated with corrosion resistant layers for added longevity. Ball bearings also play a critical role when it comes to strength and durability of saltwater spinning reels. Look for models with at least six ball bearings.
Keep in mind that their overall design affects the smoothness of the reel. They play an important role in minimizing friction between moving parts. This improves performance when fishing for extended periods of time and over the course of many seasons.
Another critical factor you should consider in saltwater fishing is the line capacity. The sharp edges in saltwater conditions combined with handling large fish bring about the need for tougher, heavier and thicker lines than freshwater reels. The line must be able to remain flexible and not weaken or stretch from powerful stress and sudden impacts.
You will also need an anti-reverse function. This is because setting the hook requires tight timing and a split second can result in either a near miss or successful hook. This function helps stop the motion of the line when pulled. It ensures that the line only releases as allowed by the drag settings.
There are many great saltwater spinning reels on the market and if you are looking for the best value, you can never go wrong with the models reviewed above. They are a top choice among experienced anglers and offer superior performance.