Table of Contents
- 1 Best Outdoor Projector Screens: Our Top Picks
- 1.1 Camp Chef OS-144 Indoor or Outdoor Giant Movie Screen Movie Night
- 1.2 EasyGo Products 14' Inflatable Mega Movie Screen
- 1.3 EasyGo Products 17' Inflatable Mega Movie Screen
- 1.4 JaeilPLM 100-Inch 2-in-1 Portable Projector Screen
- 1.5 VIVO 100" Projector Screen (PS-M-100)
- 1.6 Elite Screens Yard Master Manual Series OMS100HM
- 1.7 Elite Screens Yard Master Electric Series
- 1.8 Elite Screens Yardmaster 2 DUAL OMS135H2-Dual
- 2 Best DIY Projector Screen Material
- 3 Other Factors to Consider When Choosing a Projector Screen
Modern projector screens have come a long way from the old models that were held together with transparent tape. The best models allow you to not only show projected images but also enhance them. Some even work in darkened rooms with a little bit of ambiance. Other models are designed to work indoors, outdoors or both.
The one thing everyone wants is the best home theater equipment for optimal viewing pleasure. People want projected images that are large, vivid, sharp and vibrant. And now that you have the best projector, all you need is a projector screen that can deliver high-quality images.
In this post, we guide you through the best indoor, outdoor and DIY projector screens.
Best Outdoor Projector Screens: Our Top Picks
Before you go on and buy an outdoor projector screen, read our reviews to help you make an educated decision.
The Camp Chef OS-144 is a unique projector screen ideal for both outdoor and indoor viewing. It is attached to a solid freestanding frame metal frame that assembles in minutes. There are four tie-down guidelines that offer added stability.
The screen has a decent size of 144 inches and an aspect ratio of 16:9, hence perfect for widescreen movies. It utilizes a back cover to block ambient light.
One thing you will not have to worry about is a loss of image quality because the screen material is made from high-quality oxford nylon. This means you get high-resolution imagery with enriched colors.
- Offers 144” of viewing pleasure
- Made from 600D x 600D oxford nylon for quality imagery
- Carry bag included
- Freestanding metal frame
- Tie down guy lines provide extra stability
- Uses plastic clamps to hold the screen to the poles
The EasyGo Products 14’ is a mega inflatable movie screen that sets up in less than two minutes thanks to the included manual. A tent, rope, inflatable stakes and an air blower are included for added convenience. The detachable white display screen and inflation work great together. You can remove the white canvas for safe storage and easy cleaning. The screen offers 96” x 58” of viewing pleasure.
Taking this deluxe inflatable screen from place to place is easy. You can use it for camping adventures, outdoor birthday and wedding parties as well as picnics. The kit also includes ground stakes, tie down straps and D-rings for extra stability.
- Larger than life screen that measures 96" x 58"
- Kit includes detachable screen, ground stakes, inflatable frame and blower for convenience
- Inflates and sets up in less than two minutes
- Lightweight and easy to move around with
- Zip gets damaged easily, compromising the stability of the unit
The EasyGo Products 17’ is a canvas projection screen for outdoor parties guaranteed to thrill and excite. It conveniently sets in two minutes thanks to the included manual. The kit comes with an air blower, inflatable stakes and tent to make your work easier. The detachable screen has a white display and works great the inflation fan. It measures 96 inches wide by 58 inches tall and can be removed for safe storage and transportation.
If you have ever dreamed of owning a big screen that is mobile, the EasyGo Products 17' is a good contender. This mega deluxe screen folds down easily when not in use and comes with a convenient carry bag. It offers a great viewing experience for birthday parties, weddings, picnics and camping adventures.
- Measures 13’ x 12’ for optimal viewing pleasure
- Comes with everything you need to set up
- Ground stakes, D-rings and tie down straps offer extra stability
- Crisp, sharp and vivid imagery
- Inflatable screens are susceptible to punctures
The JaeilPLM 100” is an excellent purchase for someone who wants to add a dash of fun and excitement to their outdoor camping experience. It has a triangular base that boasts a strong and rigid construction, hence optimal stability even when the weather is windy. You can stake the base down or sandbag it for added stability.
Another thing we love about this screen is that it made from wrinkle-free PVC fabric with a contrasting black backing. The smooth matte surface can be stretched to prevent the formation of wrinkles. The screen is supplied rolled in a tube, hence reduced creasing as compared to models that delivered while folded.
- The screen is extremely sturdy and folds without creases
- Triangular shaped base offers a lot of stability
- Comes with a nylon carry bag for safe storage and portability
- Extremely easy to assemble
- Size and height of screen are great for mini-theater experience
- The large footprint of the base may be a problem if you have a small viewing area
The Vivo PS-M-100 pull down projector screen is aimed at general users who want something affordable yet high quality.It is easy to operate since there are less moving parts as opposed to electric projector screens, which have more complicated parts to operate. It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. The screen has a durable metal casing for better dual wall and ceiling installations. It is made up of MaxWhite 1.1 Gain material and offers 120 degrees worth of viewing angle.
The screen is 100” wide and has a 16:9 ratio, hence sharp imagery. It comes with a built-in L bracket for easier installation as well as mounting on walls and ceilings. Additionally, it is made up of multiple layers to prevent penetration. The four side black borders help enhance picture contrast.
- Universally compatible with LCD, LED and DLP projectors
- A 125” variant is available for those who want a larger screen
- Made with multiple layers to prevent light penetration
- Easy to mount on walls and ceilings
- The metal casing is easily dented
The Elite Screens Yard Master 100” is an excellent choice for someone who only wants the best for their indoor entertainment space. It offers 100 inches worth of viewing pleasure and has an aspect ratio of 16:9. It comes with black weatherproof housing. The screen is made from max white 1.1 gain material with multi-layer weave. It offers 180-degrees worth of viewing angle.
We love the slow retract system as it allows for hands-free operation when rotating the screen. The housing, handle, roller tube, weight bar and brackets are made from rust-proof metal for longevity while the black material backing eliminates light penetration. The unit is backed by 2-year warranty.
- Made from max white 1.1 gain material with multi-layer weave
- Good for recreation rooms, backyards, and pool decks
- Has a slow retract system for hands-free operation
- Rustproof metal components for longevity
- Customer support is a little wanting
This is a 120-inch electric motorized projector screen from Elite Screens that boasts 16:9 aspect ratio and 58: x 104: worth of viewing size. It is made from max white 1.1-grain material with multi-layer weave and offers a wide viewing angle of 160 degrees.
This dynamic indoor home theater is built with durability in mind and is IP33 certified for rain and water protection. It can be used both indoors and outdoors, and like all Elite Screens projector screens, it is backed by 2 year/3 years ENR-G manufacturer warranty. The straightforward folding frame is easy to install and the locking joints ensure stable presentation.
- Snap-on screen for a tight finish
- Increased stability with locking joints
- Portable and lightweight for true theater experience on the go
- 160 degree wide viewing mode
- Wraithveil rear projection
- Support is nonexistent
This is a 135-inch projector screen with front and back projection. It comes with a sturdy silver aluminum frame and has snap button attachments for easy installation. The unit assembles in minutes and doesn't require the use of tools. Additionally, you get a carry bag for convenient transportation. Also included are a rigging cord, ground stakes, and support rings.
The Elite Screens Yardmaster 2 offers 150 degrees wide-angle viewing . It has an exceptional color balance and resolution. The screen is universally compatible with LCD, LED and DLP projectors, and is easy to clean with mild soap and water. It is extremely versatile and can be used indoors or outdoors.
- Front and rear projection
- Excellent color balance and resolution
- 150-degree viewing angle
- Black masking borders enhance picture contrast
- Lightweight aluminum square tube construction
- Setup may take a while
Best DIY Projector Screen Material
DIY projector screens are an affordable alternative to expensive outdoor and indoor screens. They can be mounted on the wall and all you need is a sturdy frame. The Elite Screens Designer Cut 135” Projector Screen Material is a cinegrey 3D 1.2 gain angular material that incorporates ambient light reflecting technology. It offers a 90-degree viewing angle and is polarized for 3D, 4K Ultra HD, and Active 3D Ready.
This screen material is mildew resistant and is easy to clean with microfiber cloth. It is made from the same material as the one used for Elite Screens electric, manual and fixed projection screen models. You can use it for both front and rear projections, hence perfect for applications with a high ambient light intrusion.
- Compatible with 3D, 4K Ultra HD, and Active 3D projectors
- Cleans easily with a microfiber cloth
- Wraithveil rear projection material provides wide diffusion uniformity
- Cinegrey 5D front projection material with 80-degree viewing angle
- Visible 7.5” vertical lines on very bright images
Other Factors to Consider When Choosing a Projector Screen
Some people just want the largest projector screens they can afford. However, there are a few things you should consider if you want a model that fits your space well. The diagonal measurement should be equal or less than the distance from the seating area to the screen. A projection screen up to 96” will suffice if the closest chairs are 8’ from the screen. Horizontal measurement of the screen is also worth considering. The width should equal 2/3 of the distance from the screen to the closest seats.
The viewing angle determines the angle one can sit and still be able to see clear images. It is particularly important if you intend to place the screen in a wide room. If the viewing angle is 180 degrees, you will see a clear image regardless of where you sit. The lower the viewing angle, the more the image starts to blur and disintegrate as you move to the sides. You will be required to sit more directly in front of the screen to get clear imagery.
This is a measure of the reflectivity of a screen and a model with 1.0 offers average reflectivity. As the gain factor increases, you lose some viewing angle. Look for a projection screen whose gain factor lies between 0.8 and 1.2. A higher gain factor should only be chosen if the seats are all directly in front of the screen.
The reason why speakers are never seen in a movie theater is that they are behind the movie screen. This arrangement works because the screen material is acoustically transparent and allows sound waves to pass through unobstructed. You can take advantage of the same arrangement in your home theater as well by placing your center channel speakers or freestanding speakers behind the actual screen. However, you will need an acoustically transparent screen for this to work.
There are basically two styles of projector screens i.e. fixed and retractable screens. Fixed projector screens stay on the wall in a solid frame they are attached to. They usually attach by snaps or a hook and loop system. The main advantage of a fixed screen is that it is not susceptible to creases. Additionally, they are easier to install and integrate into your entertainment system. Retractable projector screens raise and lower into a case on a roller. Some are manual while others are electronic. While more costly and harder to integrate, retractable screens are a great option for family movie nights. You will need to consider mounting options when you are shopping for a retractable projector screen.
This refers to the shape of projected images and is measured in different sizes. 16:9 and 4:3 are the most common options, but there are a few others. Some movie aficionados prefer 2:35:1. If all of your media is 16:9, consider getting a matching screen to optimize your viewing experience.
A projector can only put out so much light and the larger the screen, the dimmer the imagery will be. When it comes to projector light output, you will come across terms like lumens and footlamberts. The former refers to the amount of light coming from the projector while the latter refers to the amount of light that comes off the screen. A commercial grade projector screen produces 16 ft-L, but a home screen should produce 12 ft-L of light.
Whether you need the best projector screen for presentations, family movies or camping adventures, you can never go wrong with the above-reviewed models. We categorized them into different types to make your search easier. Should you find yourself a little overwhelmed by the search, consider the above factors and narrowing down your choices will be a walk in the park.